Association of Ohio Pedologists
We are pleased you found your way to our website. We are a professional organization of soil scientists who are dedicated to the advancement of soil science in Ohio. We invite you to learn more about us.
- To advance the profession of soil science as it relates to classification, mapping, and interpretations.
- To improve and maintain the stature of professional soil scientists in Ohio.
- To promote high quality standards among soil scientists.
- To foster broader recognition of the need, use and application of soil science in government and especially in the private business sector.
- To cooperate with and counsel colleges and universities in adjusting curricula to the changing needs of soil scientists.
- To function as a communication medium between professional soil scientist, allied disciplines and professional organizations.
- To work toward state registration and certification of soil scientists.
- To foster good land use and environmental programs through the use of soil resource information.
Soil is the earth's natural foundation, filter, and seed bed. The failure or success of building foundations are a function of soil properties and the engineering needed to overcome these properties. Soil acts as a filter; it cleans as water percolates through it. Soil is the medium in which plants grow and seeds germinate. How well a plant grows is largely dependent upon soil properties, which control a soil's water and nutrient holding capacities that are vital to the success of plant growth.